Cordless drills are becoming really popular these days with those who like to do a bit of DIY in their spare time. There are many benefits to using a cordless drill, with one such the fact that they are powerful and affordable, and one of the best things is that most modern cordless drill batteries are lithium-ion batteries.
One of the most important things to have with your drill is a battery charger because it is not a good idea to use your drill when the charge on the battery is low.
You should always make sure that your batteries are charged before you start using your cordless drill.
You will get a battery charger with your drill when you purchase it and you should never use any other charger except this one or you could end up damaging the battery.
So when it comes to charging your cordless drill batteries, you may be wondering how it should be charged and how long for.
Charging these batteries is very simple because all you have to do is look at the indicators on the battery charger to see what to do.
When the light on the charger is red, it is charging, but when it turns green, it is charged and needs to be unplugged. However, the following tips will help when it comes to charging these batteries:
- Although this sounds pretty obvious, you have to remember to make sure your battery charger is plugged into the electricity socket and that it is switched on. You would be surprised at the number of people who have plugged in their charger and then when they went to use the drill they found that the battery had not charged at all because they did not have the power switch turned on.
- Make sure the battery is firmly in place in the charger or it will not charge up properly.
- Make sure you charge the battery properly until the indicator light shows that it is finished charging.
The first time that you charge your cordless drill batteries, you will need to do it for about seven or eight hours. However, if you have charged it before you simply need to go by the indicator lights on the charger.
If the battery is allowed to run down completely then you will have to charge it for about four to six hours before it is fully charged.
But once you see the light that indicates that the battery is charged, you should unplug it from the electricity supply because otherwise you will just be wasting money and energy.
If you want to make sure that your cordless drill batteries last as long as possible then you should follow the tips below:
- At least once every month, you should make a point of fully charging the battery and then letting it run down completely.
- If you want to make sure that you are getting the best charge for your battery, then it is wise to make sure you clean the contact points of the battery and the charger.
- Make sure you use the battery at least once or twice every month so that it is not in a discharged state for too long.
- If you are not going to be using the drill for some time, then you should take the battery out and put it in a cool, dry place.
- Another thing that will ensure the battery charge lasts for longer is to make sure the rotation switch for the drill is in neutral when not in use.